What I learnt when I started seeing self-care as a necessity not a luxury
Life seems to be getting steadily busier, and time continues to pass at an ever-alarming rate, I mean it’s nearly Christmas already!!
With so much acquiring our attention and so many people vying for our time, it can be hard to set a moment aside to focus on ourselves. Sometimes we subconsciously put our own needs last as it seems the easiest thing to do. It can seem so difficult times to put that time aside to concentrate on our own self-care and wellbeing without thinking we are being selfish.
But putting time aside for yourself is in fact vital for your own personal happiness and for your own physical and mental wellbeing.
We need to stop seeing self-care as a luxury and instead start viewing it as a necessity in our daily routines. We must all schedule it into our daily lives, as there will never be time available for you if you don’t take control and make it happen!
Here’s a few things that we suggest to kick start your journey to make self-care a necessity…
1. Take five minutes at the start of the day to stop and focus, whether you sit and meditate or write a list of what you want to achieve during the day ahead. Mornings are often such a rush that the rest of your day can feel hectic, but by making the time for a few minutes of calm first thing in the morning, your day will follow a similar suite.
2. Ensure that you eat 3 balanced meals every day; it’s all too easy to just pick up a quick snack and then push on with our day, but snacks rarely have the nutritional goodness we need. By making sure that we have 3 nutritious, filling meals we are giving our bodies the goodness that they need. You will have a lot more energy and a good lunch will help you overcome that mid-afternoon slump. If you don’t have time for breakfast before you leave the house, make sure you take a good breakfast with you that you can eat at your desk, or prepare something the night before.
3. Exercise is so important, you don’t have to go to the gym or go for a run, you can find a form of exercise that works for you, whether it’s walking or dancing, swimming or roller skating. If you can take the stairs rather than the lift do it! Add at least 30 minutes of exercise to your day, and if you overdo it a bit (we’ve all been there) you can always turn to our Arnica collection for soothing relief.
4.Create a healthy work life balance. We often feel so much pressure to perform well and achieve our goals at work, that we push ourselves more than we should. Take regular breaks, be it making a cup of tea or getting a breath of fresh air, it’s good to recharge your brain. Yes, answering that urgent e-mail seems a priority but it’s still going to be there in five minutes. You can’t do everything on your to-do list in one day, prioritise, your brain will overheat if you try to do it all.
5. We all know that having a skincare routine is important, but how many times do we rush through it? It’s just another ‘thing’ we have to do at the end of a long tiring day, when all we really want to do is go to sleep. Giving yourself the time to truly pamper yourself before you go to sleep will help you begin to wind down. Our Collagen collection is not just brilliant for your skin it’s also indulgent and creates the perfect pre-sleep skin routine. Start by cleansing twice with the Collagen 3-in-1 cleanser, then apply your Collagen serum, followed by your Collagen skincare gel and a generous layer of the Collagen ultra-rich cream, it will create a hydrating mask that will soak into your skin while you sleep.
6. Showers are convenient, you can be in, out and washed within minutes, but for true relaxation run yourself a bath. Set time aside to have one a couple of times a week, there’s nothing more relaxing than a bath, you can light some candles, put on soothing music or read a book. Add your favourite Bath & Shower product to the running water and ahhh relax.
Realise the importance of you. You are important and so are your own wants and needs. Make time for the things you love, and for the people you love. The jobs on your to-do list aren’t going anywhere, and you don’t want to look back on life and just see a continuous routine of working, washing and cleaning. Make time for memories you can cherish; try something new, go somewhere different. Put yourself first for a change.
Don’t feel overwhelmed you don’t have to do everything at once, but by gradually incorporating these routines into your daily life, you may start to find that you’ve started to create a healthier life balance and are taking care of you!