Face & Body Care
SBC’s Guide to the Perfect Cleanse!
The most commonly misused, and probably most underrated, skincare product is the cleanser.
Cleansing is the first step of your skincare routine, and one of the most important! If you don’t cleanse your face thoroughly before applying other products, they simply will not be as effective as they should be. Cleansers dissolve daily dirt, grime, impurities, and make-up, which, if left on the skin, can lead to a dull, congested and ageing complexion.
With so many cleansers available it is easy to feel overwhelmed when deciding which one to use. Understanding the difference between types of cleansers will allow you to narrow down your options and makes the hunt for your perfect cleanser easier.
Should I be double cleansing?
In our opinion – twice the effort doubles the benefit!
Double cleansing is a two-step method for cleansing your skin: the first cleanse is to remove make-up/SPF/impurities; the second cleanse allows the key ingredients from your cleanser to penetrate your skin and be more effective. Double cleansing is a necessity if you wear make-up and/or SPF, also if you spend a lot of time in a city, which can result in added free radical build up on the skin. In terms of types of cleansers for your double cleanse you can use the same cleanser twice, however, to maximise the benefits of your routine we would recommend incorporating two different cleansers to achieve ultimate nourishment!
The double cleanse will properly prepare your skin to absorb all the effective products you choose to apply in the rest of your routine, which gets you the results you want quicker. If you already use an eye-makeup remove or a micellar cleanser before you wash your face, you are already double-cleansing. Alternatively, cream or balm formulas will melt seamlessly into dry skin, helping to dissolve any remaining traces of the day, ready for your second cleanse. For your second cleanse consider a gel or creamy formulation suitable for your skin type or skin concern.
Most Common Types of Cleansers
1. Gel Cleansers are clear and are generally designed for deep cleansing. They are effective at decongesting clogged pores and removing excess oil, to help mattify the oily or combination skin types, such as our Sage & Lemon Cleanser or Green Tea & Ginkgo Biloba 3-in-1 Cleanser.
Cream Cleansers are perfect for hydrating the skin. They gently cleanse your skin without stripping it of its natural oils,ideal for dry, dehydrated skin types. Such as our best-selling Collagen 3-in-1 Cleanser or the brand new Coconut & Plumeria Conditioning Cream Cleanser
3. Foam cleansers are lightweight cleansers that burst into a rich, foamy lather. This type of cleanser removes excess oil as effectively as gel cleansers, and therefore best for oily, problematic skins, and combination skin types.
4. Oil Cleansers; it is often thought that you shouldn’t use an oil cleanser on oily skin, however, oil cleansers are an effective and gentle way of removing pore-clogging debris without drying your skin. Generally, oil cleansers are suitable for all types of skin.
5. Cleansing Balms are very similar to oil cleansers, as they are made from oils and mixed with wax to achieve a thicker consistency. Their rich formulas make them great for those with combination or dry skin – and make the perfect nourishing winter cleanser. The New Hydra-Collagen Cleansing Balm also provides a relaxing, aromatic experience.
6. Micellar Cleansers feature ‘micelles’, which are tiny oil molecules that attract oil, dirt and makeup and you don’t need to rinse them off with water, they are the ideal ‘quick fix’. Collagen Micellar Gel Cleanser, Cucumber Micellar Gel Cleanse
Cleansers for your Skin Type
The skin type and condition of your skin should affect your choice of cleanser. To ensure you get the desired results your cleanser should be specific in treating the needs of your skin condition:
- Oily Skin: Gel-based cleansers, foaming cleansers and clay cleansers work best at removing impurities and excess oil. Oily skin needs gentle care that helps balance excess oil and shine and battles blemishes.
- Dry, Dehydrated Skin: Cream cleansers and oil-based cleansers can help add moisture to the skin. Dry and dehydrated skin needs gentle cleansing that cleans the skin without leaving it feeling tight or uncomfortable.
- Combination Skin: Combination skin has different needs, which can make it tricky to care for, usually, a lotion or water-based cleanser is preferable. Our Collagen 3-in-1 Cleanser can hydrate and help balance without drying. SBC’s Green Tea & Ginkgo Biloba 3-in-1 Cleanser is also suitable, to leave skin feeling fresh smooth and thoroughly cleansed.
- Sensitive Skin: Sensitive skin requires extra-gentle cleansing, look for calming formulas that won’t irritate the skin, and avoid anything that may strip the skin, cream cleansers are gently and nourishing.
- All Skin Types: Oil Cleansers, Cleansing Balms and Micellar Waters are suitable for all skin types, they generally incorporate different ingredients to target specific skin concerns.
SBC’s Cleansing rules:
- Cleanse your face every morning – a splash of water will not cut it, skin can still get a build-up of dirt and oil from your pillow.
- More importantly, cleanse your face every night – without fail! Even if you don’t wear make-up – dirt, oil and pollutants will build-up on your skin.
- Use our SBC Skin Shammy to remove your cleanser instead of just rinsing with water. The Shammy thoroughly removes impurities while also sloughing off dead skin cells and excess product for a brighter complexion.
- Don’t use freezing cold water or scalding hot water – both will cause damage to your skin. Go lukewarm – if it is a nice warm temperature for your hands it will be fine for your face.
- It is important to incorporate exfoliating into your cleansing routine. Exfoliation simply gives your complexion an instant glow by clearing away the dead skin cells that cause dullness. SBC’s Green Tea & Gingko Biloba Face Polish should be used 2-3 times a week, after cleansing.
Trust us – an effective cleansing routine will leave you with beautiful, glowing, healthy-looking skin!