Face & Body Care
Are You Washing Your Hands Properly?
In view of recent handwashing guidance, SBC wants to make sure you are still taking care of the delicate skin on your hands, whilst thoroughly washing them.
Washing your hands regularly, throughout the day, requires a hand wash formulated to effectively care for your skin. There are many hand wash formulas that can strip the natural oils, leaving hands feeling tight and dry.
It’s not just germs we’re protecting ourselves from. Choosing a gentle formula now means you will also be doing yourself a favour in the long-term – fighting against the signs of ageing. Remember to avoid water that is too hot or too cold. Use warm water and pat hands dry rather than rubbing with a towel. This way you are less likely to irritate and dry out the skin.
What is the most effective way to wash our hands?
Washing your hands correctly is the easiest form of protection from germs, increase the usual recommended frequency of handwashing during any outbreak of cold, flu and viral infections.
Many of us rush the process, not allowing ourselves enough time to thoroughly clean our hands every time. The NHS recommends washing your hands for at least 20 seconds. Simply follow this routine…
- Wet hands with water.
- Apply enough soap/handwash to cover your hands.
- Rub hands together.
- Use 1 hand to rub the back of the other hand and clean in between the fingers. Do the same with the other hand.
- Rub your hands together and clean in between your fingers.
- Rub the back of your fingers against your palms.
- Rub your thumb using your other hand. Do the same with the other thumb.
- Rub the tips of your fingers on the palm of your other hand. Do the same with the other hand.
- Rinse your hands with running water.
- Dry your hands completely with a towel, if you are in a public facility use a disposable towel.
- Again, if you are using a public facility use the disposable towel to turn off the tap if it isn’t automatic.
How often should we wash our hands?
We should aim to wash our hands at least 5 times a day in normal circumstances plus:
- after using the toilet or changing a nappy
- before and after handling raw foods like meat and vegetables
- before eating or handling food
- after blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing
- before and after treating a cut or wound
- after touching animals, including pets, their food and after cleaning up their waste
Which hand wash?
Washing your hands is an element of self-care, and here at SBC we want you to enjoy the experience. All SBC hand washes leave your hands elegantly fragranced, refreshed and clean as a whistle. So, what is your preference?
Sweet & Indulgent?
This comforting hand wash conditions and cares for your skin whilst its familiar aroma calms your mind. Formulated with the natural extract of Vanilla and Wild Chestnut to gently cleanse and help care for your skin, whilst adding a touch of indulgence to your everyday routine.
This nurturing hand wash cleanses your hands with a special formulation enriched with smoothing and caring Propolis and hydrating Glycerin to leave you with soft, smooth skin. Propolis is rich in amino acids, minerals, vitamins and bioflavonoids which lavish hands with natural, nourishing care.
A hand wash formulated with the soothing power of Calendula extract blended with the nourishing effects of Macadamia Nut Oil. Not only does it smell divine, but deeply conditions and cares for your hands every day. It provides the perfect hand wash for rough, chapped, stressed skin, leaving skin moisturised and soothed.
Fresh & Fruity?
A luxurious hand wash that provides essential cleansing, moisturising and protective care for your hands. This anti-ageing formula is enriched with Marine Collagen to minimise the appearance of fine lines whilst Glycerin locks in moisture to leave you with soft, smooth hands.
An invigorating, fruity hand wash bursting with antioxidant-rich extracts including Raspberry, Cranberry and Pomegranate to protect and care for your hands. The aromatic formula leaves hands soft and visibly uplifted with a delicious, sweet scent.
The delicious infusion of energising Grapefruit and spicy Ginger are united in a lavish lather with White Nettle, Ivy and Elderflower extracts to leave hands feeling nourished, cleansed and sumptuously smooth.
Is hand sanitiser effective?
Hand washing is the most effective means of protecting yourself. However, if soap and water are out of reach, hand sanitiser is a great back-up. It is perfect for travelling and keeping in your bag or pocket. Make sure it contains at least 60% alcohol to offer the best protection.